After an energetic hiatus of putting Christmas away, remnants of tinsel glisten in the carpet (and on the dog) while distant scents of pine cone candles linger. In addition to shiny and scrubbed floors the house is cleaned and ready for January traffic as “normalcy” resumes. Besides starting a new decade with a smile and a deep breath I reflect on 2019 with much gratitude, lessons learned and clarity and finding a Patch for That …
Whether in my booth, in an email or a phone call….
THANK YOU to EVERY ONE OF YOU!
….for allowing me to be just a small part of your life, your wardrobe and be your hat expert! Your presence is the reason I’m entering my ninth year as your resident handmade hat bestie!
Let’s take a moment to soak in the January sun and remember what January means to each of us…it is after all the first month of the year!
There’s a Patch for That
Not only has our household reluctantly returned to school, jobs and routines our nightly crossword puzzles are getting mastered and many walks have continued to energize our souls as the January windchill slaps us across the face as if to say, “Hiya there? Did ya miss me?“
“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness. “
Not into crossword puzzles or 10 degree walks? Here are some other ways we can energize the soul on these otherwise ho-hum days of winter….
(there’s a patch for that)
- flip through magazines (who cares if there circa 2016!)
- rearrange a room
- write a letter and snail-mail it (yes, this kind gesture still exists)
- phone a friend or better yet meet for coffee
- visit your local hardware store and ask about latest color trends
- set a timer and page through Pinterest
- support your local boutique (you might make their day just by walking in the door!)
- write a gratitude journal
- reflect on all the awesome blessings that we all have
- open up the card table and begin a puzzle
- bake bread (sharing the recipe in my next blog)
- try a new soup recipe
- watch a movie….on a Tuesday….at noon
- volunteer your time for someone in need
- go through old photo albums
- plan your flower or vegetable garden or both
“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.”
Over the holidays I took a long needed break from the shop, but by about day six I had withdrawals and remembered that I HAD to get into my cabinets sooner or later. In the midst of movie nights and hot chocolate I finally purged and cleaned things up. Not only were the cabinets ready for the new year but while unearthing the rug of scraps I managed to salvage some recent plaid fabric remnants from the 80+ Patches Hat I made in the last four months. Fittingly I gave them respective names that guided me to reflect on the past year and envision the future….
What does your patch of words look like?
I hope you envision your 2020 with as much clarity that your eyes and heart can feel.
Look out for the next blog that throws in some of my favorite winter recipes and outfits!
Thank you again for spending time with me.
Do you or someone you know love hats and wanna get in on the hat-making goodness of Bound to be Creative? Learn how to become the best hat-wearing fashionista on your block right here!
With much love and gratitude!